Thursday, March 08, 2007

Start saving those pennies, girls


WHAT: Leather City Satchel
WHERE: M0851
HOW MUCH: around $300

One of my first orders of business when I moved downtown was to get myself a city satchel. When I used to make my sporadic jaunts to Queen Street from the depths of Scarberia, I always looked with envy upon the cool urban hipsters with their funky sneakers and capacious shoulder bags. Being from the ‘burbs, the concept of a bag needed for walking places was alien to me – I got in the car and drove to the corner store which was 30 feet from my front door. But when I moved downtown, I quickly realized that my clunky, pretty bags with the miniscule handles would be useless. I needed a trusty bag I could throw over my shoulder and walk with comfortably for countless city blocks. But of course, it had to have style.

That was when a coworker introduced me to the glory that is M0851. His bag glowed with the richness of Italian leather the colour of vintage Cabernet. Its butter soft hide gave of an air of effortless élan and old money. I had, had, HAD to have one of these bags.

After many, many lustful looks at the window displays and few trips inside where I covetously stroked the bags one by one, I finally broke down and bought a medium size shoulder bag in rich dark chocolate. It is my weekend bag; it goes with me everywhere, over a down parka or a yoga hoodie or a jean jacket, and lends an easy style to my weekend wear.

It may be expensive, but it is worth every penny. (And sometimes, if you’re lucky, you can find it at 20% off at Sydney’s in Queen west.)

No comments: