Saturday, March 03, 2007

My Saviour



WHAT: The Cropped Jacket
WHERE: Club Monaco
HOW MUCH: $179

I come from a long line of generously-hipped women. And by generous, I don’t mean Kate Winslet; I mean ancient Sicilian peasant women who spend their days planted in front of a stone counters rolling out acres of pasta. It all starts off well enough; I am what you would euphemistically call pear-shaped. When I look at my mother, she has graduated to more of a butternut squash shape and my Grandma resides somewhere between the squash and an upside down mushroom.

Needless to say, this level of junk-in-a-de-trunk precludes me from sashaying down the streets of Toronto in the season’s hippest skinny jeans and slouchy boots. While I have resigned myself to a lifetime of A-line skirts and dresses that cinch the waist, I am thrilled to see that there is one trend that I can happily indulge in: the cropped jacket.

The 50's glamour and Audrey-Hepburn feeling of the cropped jacket enchant me; I can just see myself slinking into a party wearing one paired with elbow-length leather gloves and accessorized by an uber-long cigarette holder. Here, my favourite from Club Monaco; the graphic print and clean lines would look fantastic with a pencil skirt or even my trusty A-line. At $179, it’s a bit pricey for a trendy item, but I hold faith that it will go on sale before the season is out. Will keep you posted.

No comments: