Tuesday, July 22, 2008

The Dawn of a New Day

The time has come, people. As much as I love, love, love to shop, I am slowly starting to recognize that sometimes it can be a teensy bit much. And while I have tried the justifications of 'I'll only buy things I REALLY love' or 'I'll only buy investment pieces' blah blah blah, the truth is, I cannot resist the lure of a sale. Of a bargain waiting to be had, of the last pair of shoes, of a bag that will inspire murmurs of reverence when I step on the subway.

So I have decided to go cold turkey for a month.

I realize that a month for most people is nothing and will elicit snorts of contempt from most of you. But for me, a month without shopping is a big thing. I cannot set foot into a fabulous summer sale for a month, I cannot stop and pet the back-to-school goodies for a month, I cannot even kill time by wandering into the corner shop for a month. I MUST BE STRONG.

I will be chronicling my month of no spending (on clothes and accesories) here, and taking a good, hard look at why I feel the need to buy. But don't worry, I won't get all self-righteous and eco-holic about it. As long as gleaming leather handbags and silk dresses exist, the shopaholic in me lives on.

And now, to help me through this difficult journey - what do you do to curb the urge to shop?

No comments: